[Scribus] Scribus on Windows XP

frank gaude' tanzen
Sun Apr 9 23:01:17 CEST 2006

Michael Engel wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Christopher Anthony <christopher.anthony at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I very much disagree and am dissapointed in your decisions to port Scribus
>> to the Windows platform.  Windows has plent of desktop publishing
>> applications and Scribus, while great should first and foremost be a Linux
>> application.  If we continue to port Open Source software to the Windows
>> platform then we are cutting Linux's throat as no one will then want to use
>> Linux.  I am requesting that you cease and desist in continuing your port of
>> Scribus to the Windows platform.  Do a Solaris port, do a BeOS port, do an
>> IRIX port, but dont continue Windows.
>>

> And to be consistent with that opinion above:
> don't continue Mac - it is also not OpenSource.

Well, I think when we come to understand the underlying philosophy of
Open Source we see that porting OSS has nothing to do with trying to
reduce the market share of any particular operating systems, be they
Windows or Mac's OS.

Note that Apple's OS X comes from NeXT (Darwin OS, $400 million dollars
paid by Apple) which came from FreeBSD, much of which is OSS, and we can
download such from the Web. Apple has put it there as part of their
agreement regarding the use of FreeBSD, which is Berkeley University
Unix. Linux is System V, which is Sun's Unix.

Anyway, good OSS applications should get wide distribution to show what
how good the philosophy is.

Frank