[Scribus] Upward compatibility from 1.3 to 1.4

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sat Apr 8 21:54:12 CEST 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 17:07, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> >On Saturday 08 April 2006 09:36, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> >>  Hi Team,
> >>
> >>  I should know the answer but just as a stupid check:
> >>
> >>  Say we use 1.3 series on Windows (average Windows users). Considering
> >>  that it is stable enough to work (and we cannot use 1.2.x on Windows
> >>  as a plain regular user), can we assume 1.4 will be able to open
> >>  those "old" documents in the stable version?
> >>
> >>  So, question really is: can we assume there will be an upward
> >>  compatibility between 1.3 and 1.4?
> >>
> >>  I am not concerned with backward compatibility because I think this
> >>  is irrelevant in OSS (users can just update, as simply as that).
> >>
> >>  Thanks!
> >>
> >>  Louis
> >
> >Hi Louis,
> >
> >We take care to make sure new versions can open old docs. There is  a
> > special fileloader plugin which does just that.
> >
> >I have files from 0.5.5 which used QT2 that open in today's bleeding edge
> >1.3.4CVS.  *Sometimes* The text runs are slightly different, but the files
> >are completely usable and editable.
> >
> >Moreover, I built Scribus 0.8 to make additional test filess just for that
> >purpose.
> >
> >So, you can count on opening the files for sure. What will change is the
> > text runs with the new text engine as it will be smarter about paragraph
> > shaping and line breaks.
> >
> >I hope that makes clear what to ensures old files are opened without
> > drama.
>
> Yes Peter! Super clear! Thanks.

To be perhaps even clearer, Andreas plans to split the existing text rendering
out so existing docs can be loaded AND rendered how they are right now in
1.3.4cvs. There would then be a simple "reflow with new text engine" option
on a per frame or per document basis. Thats kind of the existing idea. We may
not achieve it, and it certainly wont be available immediately but if we can
get it to work users should have the best of both worlds.

Craig