[Scribus] Torture testing Scribus

DaleCoz at aol.com DaleCoz
Sat Apr 8 07:28:54 CEST 2006

I do want to make clear that nothing I said in my feedback was intended as an
 attack on Scribus or its developers.  I was impressed with what I was able
to do with it, and with what my students were able to do with it.  Yeah, the
students complained a lot, but they also did some pretty impressive things with
the software.  Students complain.  That's part of being a student. The
experience wasn't perfect, but it was worthwhile both for the students and for me.

The glitches were the kinds of things I would expect in a .2 level release in
the unstable branch of a piece of software.  If there weren't any glitches or
places where things could be improved this would have been version 1.4 rather
than 1.3.2.  As I pointed out I've been watching this project for quite a
while, and I've been impressed with the progress it has made.  I was also
surprised and gratified at how fast things moved in the transition between 1.3.2 and
1.3.3.

I wish I could do more to help, but I'm not really a programming guru, though
I can crank out reasonably simple stuff in Java and C/C++.  I suppose I
should have kept better track of the bugs and the crashes I encountered and then
reported them, but my primary focus was getting the job done. I looked for ways
around bugs and crashes rather than ways to reproduce them.  Based on what
little I've done with version 1.3.3 it appears to have eliminated the bug that
caused about 75% of my actual crashes in 1.3.2.

If the project needs more torture-testing as you approach a stable 1.4
release I would be happy to devote a few nights to trying to find bugs or things
that crash the software and reporting them if I can figure out how to
consistently reproduce them.

I remember that some weird stuff happened as I was trying to figure out how
to do two booklet-style pages on a landscape sheet of paper.  Parts of some
lettering but not the picture below it failed to show up on print or print
preview, though it was visible on the screen.  It happened two or three times when I
was first trying to learn how to do the booklet pages, then the problem went
away and I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do.  I don't remember
enough about how I got to the problem to be able to reproduce it.  I've done enough
programming to know that something like that isn't particularly useful to a
programmer.  If I run into the problem again and figure out how to reproduce it
I'll file a bug report.

The bottom line in all of this is that while I mentioned a few glitches and I
didn't win many converts to Scribus among my students I'm happy with Scribus,
will continue to use and support it, and will almost certainly try to teach a
unit on it again next fall.