[Scribus] A success ... and a surprise :-)

Thomas Zastrow listen
Fri Apr 7 23:50:07 CEST 2006

Hi folks,

first, the success: I created in Scribus a document which contains 70
(!) pages - on each page a two-columned-textframe with the page-number
on the alias-site. The text was floating from page to page, sometimes
with some more textframes on the pages. At the moment, there are no
pictures in the document.

At the end -ergh - Scribus was a little bit slow, specially when
scrolling the pages. But there was no crash, I finished the document
with no problems. Also creating a PDF works fine.

I used Scribus 1.3.3 on Windows.

Second: The surprise. I started - on the same machine! - VMware with an
installation of OpenSuse 10. I installed Scribus 1.3.3 in this virtual
machine and opend the doc which I created on Windows.  There were now
differents to the Windows-version - fine. Now, working with that
document, on the same machine, but in the virtual machine, was *much
more faster* ... specially scrolling the pages.

Conclusion: Scribus is a Linux-program. As that, it works much more
faster on Linux than on Windows. But, independently of the OS, it's a
very usable layout-program which also works fine with complex documents.

I love it :-)

Greetings,

Tom