[Scribus] 1.4

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Apr 7 22:34:04 CEST 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 16:20, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Craig Bradney napisa?(a):
> > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 14:10, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> >> I know that I will probably get the answer, "When it is ready."  I was
> >> just wondering if there is an ETA.
> >
> > No.. When it is ready :)
> >
> > 1.3.4 is due in a few months.
> >
> > Craig
>
> There is yet another, perhaps more imporant question: When will Scribus
> 1.3.x be suitable to replace Scribus 1.2.x? When should we start to
> encourage  normal, so to say round-of-the-mill users (and not only the
> most courageous early adapters like Raphael :) to switch to 1.3.x?
>
> IMHO, the turning point is the implemantation of the new  file format
> and DTD, which is now planned for 1.3.4:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/1.3.x_Roadmap#1.3.4
>
> We could assure users, once this aim has been achieved, that their
> Scribus documents will stay as they are, whatever direction the future
> development of Scribus might take.
>
> The 1.3.x stability shouldn't be an issue -- the difference in stability
> to 1.2.x is not so big that it would outweigh the benenfits of such a
> switch.
>
> Speaking of 1.3.x benefits: there are so many that it makes me wonder if
> the Scribus team couldn't reconsider the current roadmap and divide it
> into _two_ stable stages? Which means: a stable 1.4 release right after
> 1.3.4? Sometime in the autumn, perhaps? Just in time to make it into the
> next releases of the major distros?
>
> You've achieved so much in the almost two years of the 1.3.x development
> (only to mention the long awaited native ports for win32 and MacOsX)
> that the 1.4 name is fully deserved. And I think, it's about time to
> share your achievements with broader public:)
>
> What do others think about it?

You cannot think of 1.3.4 as a stopping point for the changes. 1.3.4 has
already undergone some serious changes in the past few days. The major part
of the guidemanager work, plus a complete new backend for the undo system as
well as a new build system.

There is a LOT more work to come in 1.3.4. We are not yet decided when to cut
1.3.4 off and stabilise and move into 1.3.5, but I doubt we will do all the
planned work in 1.3.4 as it helps to make a release and force ourselves to go
through a stabilisation phase sooner.

We have talked about releasing a 1.4 sooner.. but who knows. :) Theres no way
we can release 1.4 in autumn though, theres just way too much work ahead to
get it stable (at a level we would be 100% happy with) before then.

cya
Craig