[Scribus] 1.4

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Apr 7 22:24:04 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 7. April 2006 16:20 schrieb Maciej Hanski:
> Craig Bradney napisa?(a):
> > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 14:10, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> >> I know that I will probably get the answer, "When it is ready."  I was
> >> just wondering if there is an ETA.
> >
> > No.. When it is ready :)
> >
> > 1.3.4 is due in a few months.
> >
> > Craig
>
> There is yet another, perhaps more imporant question: When will Scribus
> 1.3.x be suitable to replace Scribus 1.2.x? When should we start to
> encourage  normal, so to say round-of-the-mill users (and not only the
> most courageous early adapters like Raphael :) to switch to 1.3.x?
>
> IMHO, the turning point is the implemantation of the new  file format
> and DTD, which is now planned for 1.3.4:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/1.3.x_Roadmap#1.3.4
>
> We could assure users, once this aim has been achieved, that their
> Scribus documents will stay as they are, whatever direction the future
> development of Scribus might take.
>
> The 1.3.x stability shouldn't be an issue -- the difference in stability
> to 1.2.x is not so big that it would outweigh the benenfits of such a
> switch.
>
> Speaking of 1.3.x benefits: there are so many that it makes me wonder if
> the Scribus team couldn't reconsider the current roadmap and divide it
> into _two_ stable stages? Which means: a stable 1.4 release right after
> 1.3.4? Sometime in the autumn, perhaps? Just in time to make it into the
> next releases of the major distros?
>
> You've achieved so much in the almost two years of the 1.3.x development
> (only to mention the long awaited native ports for win32 and MacOsX)
> that the 1.4 name is fully deserved. And I think, it's about time to
> share your achievements with broader public:)
>
> What do others think about it?
>
> cheers
> Maciej

I hate to disagree. If you look at the roadmap, there are still some things to
be implemented which are quite important for professional work. Releasing
Scribus 1.3.4 as 1.4 would mean another setback in recognition by
professionals. I really think it is better to be patient and wait until all
features are in their proper place and Scribus is running really stable. And
there are great things to come :)

But that's my just personal opinion, of course ...

Cheers,

Christoph