[Scribus] Text import using tags - any progress?

Peter Barnes scribus
Fri Apr 7 12:21:38 CEST 2006

Riku,
I like the flexibility and modular approach in your proposal, providing as many opitons for the user as possible. We all work different ways for different reasons and software needs to accommodate these differences. I think this is especially true for professional users who often have to fit in with the needs of their companies, institutes, customers, clients and colleagues.

Personally I want to be able to import files with character styles but with tags instead of paragraph styles. In Windows and Pagemaker I found RTF provided the solution to this. I mapped each tag to a single keystoke in the word processor (WordPerfect) so that they could be inserted very fast. Unlike with paragraph styles, you can easily and quickly move tagged text around in a word processor document without the style disruption that occurs with paragraph styles. With Scribus I would be happy to import RTF or ODT (saved from OpenOffice) as long as I can also import the tags as above.

Having said that I want to import the character styles, that raises one comment. I have just started  trying to learn Scribus again and note that it has "proper" italic fonts. My OpenOffice has only the more common "imposed" italics. Are there any issues with importing these italics from OpenOffice to Scribus?

Peter