[Scribus] Text-Frame with 2 Columns?

Pierre-Luc Auclair p.lucauclair
Thu Apr 6 19:40:57 CEST 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 13:32, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> No! Sorry I was not clear enough. I mean moving the Column field from
> the Shape tab to the Text tab like it is suggested. There is no point
> doing that unless you carry at least the Gap field ... and then you have
> to think about the Text inset field and what do you do with them! And
> yes, I agree you can put a zero value in the Gab field. But that is not
> the main discussion! :-)

Oh yeah, well, sure! If one moves the other must too. Zero was a pun. ;)

> So this mean we could have text outside a text frame or at least control
> the flow (including the number of columns and indents and all that's
> paragraph related) independently than the text frame? This would be
> something to dig in. I have never thought of it like that but why not?!

Yeah I got the idea from working with CSS stylesheets basically. I would not
use the same approach though as it's not powerful enough but I thought I'd
get it in the discussion for consideration (for seeing further in the text
engine redesign).

> Understand. But isn't that a very different way to handle text than it
> is right now?

Well, yes and no. We don't currently have a distinction between both, but as
the text engine is getting remade better create the most powerful system as
possible.

> All this sounds interesting in theory. I would like to have a real-case
> scenario to get the full taste of this approach.

Indeed.

> Louis

Pierre-Luc