[Scribus] Image compression in PDF export

Calum Polwart scribus
Wed Apr 5 00:02:13 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 15:16 -0600, Wolfgang Dobler wrote:

> I think the PDF export dialog could need some improvements to make
> production of web-oriented (i.e. compact) PDF easier.

Likewise - I think it positions every character on the page not a
complete text line.  Great for print accuracy but hugely expensive on
memory/filesize.  It is REALLY common these days to produce stuff for
print and then stick a copy on a web site for download... its a shame
that there is no option to switch off this level of positioning for web
export where screen viewing will be the norm and a tiny variation in
line spacing might not matter,...  (I believe printing to ps and then
converting to pdf using GS somehow magically resolves this... perhaps
the same may be true for the up-sampling of images, and compression
methods - I can't test as my print to PDF is broken.).  I'm producing a
32 page A5 document with a few photo's (cover in colour [does it put the
whole document in colour?]) and I average 30-60Mb Print Ready version,
even on low resolution I rarely get below 5Mb, but if I 'optimise' it in
windows I can get down to <1Mb which is far more acceptable for the
web...

Should I also file that as an enhancement? - What for:
- Reducing positioning accuracy to lines of text instead of characters
(would also have advantage of easier selecting text?)
- Exporting only pages with colour on them as colour?  IS that possible
in PDF? Perhaps it doesn't matter... scribus might already do it - I
tried testing it and can't see that it doesn't, but it used to cause me
problems with MS Pub when B&W pictures were still saved in 24bit colour
MS Pub sent them to the PDF printer as 24bit colour?  Exporting Gray
Scale seems to make big differences to my document sizes even though
only 2 of 32 pages are in colour...?

Calum