[Scribus] Scribus in the Art Lab

Tom Hicks tom
Tue Apr 4 23:19:12 CEST 2006

In message <200604032349.15819.cbradney at zip.com.au>
          Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:

>> > Which is a load of crap.. ID had already pretty much taken hold of the
>> > market over Quark with 2.
>>
>> That is simply not the case. InDesign still does not have more
>> marketshare than Quark, and it didn't really take hold until it was
>> bundled in the CS suite. V1&2 were both originally intended for Mac OS9,
>> and it wasn't until Adobe shipped CS which included an OSX-only version
>> of InDesign that it was really embraced. There were *many* bugs in the
>> first two versions that kept people at bay. And FWIW, many designers
>> here is Texas are still loyal to Quark. Personally, I like Indesign
>> because it previews better than Quark does, but v7 is supposed to be
>> pretty slick.
>
> Maybe in Texas..
marketshare can be deceptive, when a new product is launched, even if
it is 10X better than its competitors, it won't have the same
marketshare. there will be those who have been using the same workflow
for ten year's, it works perfectly for what they need it for, so why
should they change? point in hand, I know a good editor, who put
together an (inhouse) publication every 1/2 months using the
old-fashioned method of cutting and pasting the pieces out physically.
he can use a word processor to do all the text editing, but is it
really worth him learning it all again when he's retired? Also would
you change a postscript workflow that doesn't need changing (no
changing reqiments etc) that has worked the last 15 years?