[Scribus] Scribus in the Art Lab

pixelnate pixelnate
Mon Apr 3 23:05:39 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> No.. thats a technical college...
>
> Craig

Art Directors learn their trade in universities or in art schools, i.e.
Texas State University, University of North Texas, Art Institute of
Houston (all noted for their design programs in Texas), etc. They do not
go to technical schools like DeVry or Hallmark Institute.
Trade/technical schools are for learning blue collar trades in the US,
such as air conditioning repair, electrical work, plumbing, etc.

All of the Art Directors I have ever worked with would not, at this
point, move to less capable solutions, OSS or otherwise. I am glad that
there are people who can make use of the OSS solutions. Currently, in
this city of San Antonio, Texas, it would be impossible to dump Quark,
Indesign, Photoshop, et. al., and replace them with OSS tools. We would
not be able to produce the same kid of work with them. One job I am
working on at the moment has an Illustrator file (.ai, not EPS) that
includes transparency placed in an Indesign file next to a CMYK
Photoshop EPS with transparent items placed on top of the both of them.
And the transparency is handled properly with the various transfer
functions displaying properly on screen! You just cannot do this with
Inkscape and Scribus. I wish it was possible, but it is not.

Again, the professor's decision to switch to completely OSS tools was a
shortsighted one. While it is important to be aware of OSS tools, IMHO
it would have been better to use them for an intro to graphics class,
and then move to the _established_ commercial apps for more advanced
classes. That way the students could see how good the tools are, and
have something available to them for work at home. Then if they
progressed to the point where they needed advanced features, they could
buy those apps later if they chose to.

For a good number of people who need to do some dtp work the OSS tools
currently available may provide all the functionality they need. For the
ad agency I work for, they just aren't at the point where we would be
able to contemplate replacing our current toolset with OSS apps. That
may change in the future. Remember, Quark wasn't really accepted by the
industry until v3.3, and Indesign was a steaming pile of poo for v1 and
v2. I cannot wait to see Scribus v3!

~Nate