[Scribus] help need taking first steps in scripting

Ananga ---- Antony Brand ananga
Sun Apr 2 20:55:42 CEST 2006

Hi Craig and anyone else who may be able to help me!

I've put a some commands into a file called "my first python.py" and it's
not producing any image.
I am aiming for one horizontal and one vertical line roughly in the middle
of the (landscape) page both 4cm long.

To give the context of my endeavour I am hoping to use Scribus to make an
animated flickerbook of hypercubes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessaract)
and transformations of its subcubes for a course I'm teaching early in May,
so these are my first steps drawing the edges of squares.

I'm using the "execute script" command in the "script" menu

START OF FILE "my first python.py"

#!/usr/bin/env python
    # -*- coding: latin-1 -*-

xalong , yalong = 29.7/2.0 , 21.0/2.0
cubelength = 4

createLine( xalong , yalong , xalong+cubelength , yalong , "line1")
selectObject("line1")
setLineCap(CAP_ROUND,"line1")
setLineWidth(10,"line1")

createLine( xalong , yalong , xalong , yalong--cubelength , "line2")
selectObject("line2")
setLineCap(CAP_ROUND,"line2")
setLineWidth(10,"line2")

END OF FILE "my first python.py"

Why isn't this doing what I want to? I'm probably missing something very
basic but all the documentation seems to be at a level which is above where
I am at the moment so that isn't much help.
I'm using Windows XP, scribus 1.3.3 BTW

thanks

Antony Brand

Glastonbury, Somerset, UK