[Scribus] Scribus on the list of recommended apps for Massachusetts

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Oct 26 20:52:46 CEST 2005

Steven Boothe schrieb:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
>> Steven Boothe schrieb:

>>> Actually suggesting that it was "recommended" is stretching things a
>>> bit. It was merely listed as one of many current applications that
>>> also support the Open Document Format. None of the applications were
>>> recommended over any other. If anything was advocated it was the
>>> format of the output, with liberty being given to use "any"
>>> application, just as long as the output was Open Document compatible,
>>> and even then there were exceptions allowed for issues over
>>> accessibility, etc.
>>>
>>> Just for the sake of clarity I hope that helped.
>>

>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> you're right in that none of the applications named on the list are
>> real recommendations. But it's most important to notice that they are
>> _qualified_ for use in MS. With respect to ODF, Scribus seems to be
>> the only DTP software that meets Massachusetts' requirements. Since
>> Adobe is member of OASIS, I suppose InDesign will follow soon, but the
>> fact that scribus has been identified as a product qualified for use
>> in public administration is quite encouraging.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Christoph

Hi Steven,

> Hi Christoph:
>
> I agree it is most encouraging to see it qualified for use, but
> unfortunately at present I am fairly certain the computing requirements
> make its' use extremely unlikely. Why? Because if you noticed from the
> big document format they are moving away from is a Microsoft based
> format, which in turn we can be quite sure that they are also running
> Microsoft Windows on %99.9 of all their computers. This is the point I
> was trying to get at, although in a round about way. If Scribus had been
> formally "recommended" it would have right now meant a migration of more
> than just another document type, but also would require a much larger,
> more painful, and politically charged migration to the Linux operating
> system on their desktops in order to run it "out of the box".
 >

> Thus the inclusion of Scribus in the list of apps is "nice", and indeed
> "encouraging", but until either the state of MASS migrates to Linux or
> Scribus is available natively as an easy install for windows, the
> listing is of little more than marketing value.

I think Massachusetts won't change their IT anytime soon. ODF is a
format for future Implementations. I don't recall exactly, but I think I
have read, MA (thanks to Greg ;:  ) may not start before 2007. Moreover,
until then, Scribus will be available for Windows as well.

> But hey your right,
> being mentioned and knowing that it qualifies at output is very good.
> Just not likely to be used in the short term due to the OS requirements.
>  But yes, these are good steps in the right direction to which will
> hopefully be many more.

That was actually the main point :)

> Cheers,
>
> Steven