[Scribus] N00b Stupid Table Question

John Jordan johnxj
Fri Oct 21 07:32:49 CEST 2005

On 20 Oct 2005, at 21:34, Brian Burger wrote:

> On 10/20/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Ah. Unfortunately, the work I am currently doing requires LOTS of
> > tables. It is also unfortunate that I am unable to run anything but
> > 1.2-something, because that is all that can be installed on my
> > Ubuntu-64 Breezy (5.10) computer. Later versions of Scribus (betas)
> > are not available yet. And yes, I have every conceivable repository
> > listed.

> John, you can always compile a more recent version of Scribus than the
> one Ubuntu ships with.
>
> I'm sure someone here can point you toward a new-Linux-user-friendly
> guide to compiling... (I use Ubuntu myself but haven't yet compiled
> anything in the six months I've been using it...)

I'm sure someone could point me all kinds of directions. Fact is,
I'm one of those "desktop" Linux users, not running a server, not a
comp-sci guy -- you know, the dudes that many Linux purists think
should never be allowed to turn on a computer, let alone use Linux.

The result is that not only do I not know how to compile a program,
I don't "want* to know how to compile a program.

Linux has made great strides and will continue to do so. I use
OpenOffice.org now to the point where I recently uninstalled Word.
I need Scribus to reach that level of sophistication before it will do
what I need to do. I think that may come fairly quickly, considering
the rate at which Scribus is improving. I just took a jump at it a bit
sooner than I should have.

Thanks to all for the comments. :)