[Scribus] N00b Stupid Table Question

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Oct 21 03:00:42 CEST 2005

Craig Bradney schrieb:

>>>Then I clicked on Help, only
>>>to be greeted by a typical Linux message -- "no help yet, but go to
>>>scribus.net." I don't know why I find that so annoying about Linux
>>>programs, but I do.
>>
>>Yes, this is something really missing. A simple online help with short
>>explanations on how to use Scribus.
>>

> What distro are you using, and what version of Scribus? We have include
> documentation with Scribus for many versions now. You should either upgrade,
> or install the package that contains the docs if its been split away from the
> software, or submit a bug to the distro to make sure the docs are included.
>
> Craig

Hi Craig,

What I meant wasn't the manual. The manual provides excellent technical
information and does educate on DTP and printing issues in a way no
other online help I know of does. I was talking about questions like
"How can I adjust a picture in a frame?" and a description of the
possibilities of Scribus, including some screen shots. Just the basics
as they are provided by almost all commercial offerings. Nothing
exhaustive, but a quick info on how to use the mountain of features,
similar to what OO.o does. I don't think it's enough to direct new users
to the mailing list, the Wiki or docs.scribus.net. As you may have
noticed by John's question, he didn't find any answers to his questions
in the docs.
Quoting from an otherwise very positive review of Scribus
(http://mikesalsbury.com/mambo/content/view/230/1/):"While this is
useful information, it's not what I expect to find in "documentation"
when I'm trying to answer a question like "How do I import a graphic
into Scribus?" or "Why don't I seem to be able to import that BMP file?"
  Since the product is really quite easy to use if you've ever used a
comparable layout package on a Windows or Macintosh computer, this, too,
is a minor nit to pick with Scribus."
Also, some people probably cannot afford searching the docs on line,
especially when they are on dial-up or do not have any connection to the
net at all.

Cheers,

Christoph