[Scribus] N00b Stupid Table Question

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Oct 21 01:49:23 CEST 2005

Hi John,

John Jordan schrieb:

> I've been lurking here for a while, planning to give Scribus a try.
> Today I have a small two-page project to do that is not terribly
> challenging, so I thought it might make a good first effort.

First, Scribus' table features are quite rudimentary at the moment and
tables do not work very well. This will be rewritten in 1.3x.

> Right on the first page I needed a table. After poking around a bit I
> got the table on the page. Not inside the text frame where I wanted
> it, but at least it's there.

Any table is a group of text frames. You can verify this by looking at
the document outline. Instead of a table, you will see lots of text
frames. And you can't place a table into a text frame. It might work as
an inline object, but I recommend to wait until inline objects are
easier to use. As an additional information, you can convert single
cells into picture frames.

> Now I need to do some things with this
> shiny new table I created -- like typng some text into the cells. I
> can type into the first cell, but navigating to other cells seems
> impossible. I tried every key that I thought should work -- arrows,
> tabs, enter key, plus adding shift, control and alt to them -- and I
> looked at the shortcuts too, but nada.

Since each cell is frame, you have to double click into it, just as you
have to with other frames. ometimes you have to try more than once :(

> Then I clicked on Help, only
> to be greeted by a typical Linux message -- "no help yet, but go to
> scribus.net." I don't know why I find that so annoying about Linux
> programs, but I do.

Yes, this is something really missing. A simple online help with short
explanations on how to use Scribus.

> Anyway, I firefoxed my way to scribus.net and read everything
> there Not a peep about navigating tables. In fact, tables weren't
> even mentioned.
>
> So what's the secret?

There is none. It is a feature that needs improvement.

> Oh, and while I have your attention riveted on tables, how do I
> resize columns and rows? In most apps the mouse turns into
> something when you cross over the dividing line and then you can
> drag the dividing line this way and that. I don't get that in Scribus.
> Nor can I find a dialog box to set the row and column sizes.

You can resize rows and columns with a mouse, but don't expect too much.
Some weird things might happen. A dialog box is not available. As I
said, it is still rudimentary.

> Also, how do I merge cells?

You can't, because cells are single frames

> TIA

If you want to create more complex tables, please have a look here:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Complex_tables_in_Scribus_1.2x

HTH,

Christoph