[Scribus] Character-by-character placement in PDF

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht
Thu Oct 20 11:00:56 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2005 09:37 schrieb Bart Alberti:

> How about sla 2 latex (both being basically text tag
> systems). Surely xml is a subset of sgml?

I like LaTeX a lot for what it can do, but I also use Scribus for things which
are difficult (or even not at all) to obtain with LaTeX. Just to name
examples:
* Arbitrary shapes of text frames
* Non-square shaped areas for figures
* Holes covering parts of two columns
* Grid based typesetting
On the other hand, LaTeX has features expecially for scientific typesetting
which are neither reached by InDesign, QuarkXpress nor Scribus (think of
critical apparatus, indices, complex referencing etc.).
Therefore, Scribus has features LaTeX does not have and vice verse, and a
sla2latex-converter can only produce output which does not make use of the
real interesting features of both typesetting approaches.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht