[Scribus] Invalid Character Error Message

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Thu Oct 20 03:11:21 CEST 2005

Andreas Vox wrote:
> Carol wrote:
>
>> I have been getting a strange error message when I have the Scribus
>> Document I am working on open:
>>
>> QDom: saving invalid character , the document will not be
>> well-formed
>>
>> Pages and pages of this message fill my Terminal window. I seem to
>> be able to generate a PDF and print it on my laser printer
>> just fine. Preflight check doesn't complain about it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this might be and how I can track
>> down this rogue character? Should I even worry about it?
>

> AFAIK this is Scribus'  fault because it saves a special char (paragraph
> break) which is not supposed to appear unescaped in any XML file. I
> don't think you have to worry about it, though.

Thanks for the explanation and assessment of level panic required
on my part :~) I expect the paragraph break slipped in from an
OpenOffice import.

>> The final version will be printed at a copy-shop.
>

> The above message relates to the Scribus *.sla file, not the PDF.
>
>> I am on Mac OS 10.4.2, Scribus 1.3.1 (via Fink unstable).
>

> Is that using Qt/Mac or Qt/X11? Did you try Scribus/Aqua 1.3.2?

I'm using Qt/X11. From skimming the Scribus/Aqua posts, I decided
it isn't stable enough to jump into using wholeheartedly. (My
deadline is this Friday and I still have a ways to go before I'm done.)
I am anxiously awaiting its maturing, however.

Thanks, again.

Carol

> /Andreas

Carol Kankelborg