[Scribus] Re: Can anybody explain KDE/qt3 situation?

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Wed Oct 19 01:15:50 CEST 2005

Hi David,

On 10/16/05, David Goodenough <david.goodenough at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Its because of the gcc 4.0 ABI transition, which means that the Qt
> libraries
> have changed their names.  That ties in to KDE.

Could you tell me what is GCC ABI?  Specifically, what does ABI stand
for?  I am not rigorously following GCC-related development and would
be thankful if you could tell me something or provide me related
links.

BTW, I did read a a news article on www.techrepublic.com several
months back and it said that some company had offered its services to
upgrade GCC to incorporate substantial size/speed optimizations with
respect to the newer processors so that the whole linux and all the
software based on it could simply be recompiled and run several order
of magnitude faster than the versions of the same compiled with the
current GCC versions - to give Linux a significant competitive edge
over other operating systems such as Windows.  I would be thankful if
anyone could update me (and other folks on this list) on the current
developments in this direction.

TIA
--

Asif

p.s.  If you think this is OT and spam than please e-mail me your
replies directly.  No problem if you do  not reply :)  This is really
slightly off topic.