[Scribus] Fonts on Debian (was Re: use fonts from "Xara" in Scribus ?)

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Oct 17 23:15:32 CEST 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 23:05, Paraplegic Racehorse wrote:
> Tobias Hilbricht wrote:
> >defoma (short for Debian font management) is indeed a special very
> > debianish thing. However, in Debian Sarge it makes fonts available to
> > ghostscript, fontconfig-aware applications and defoma-aware applications
> > at once.
> >
> >Here proper Debian fontpacks such as Latin Modern get defomanized by
> > default and are available for use with ghostscript and fontconfig-aware
> > applications.
>
> Ah. Having just checked in OpenOffice Writer, you are correct (was
> trying to get font recognized in Scribus and failed to actually check
> availability in anything elese.) So it is somehow a Scribus issue.
>
> e.g. When I "apt-get install ttf-larabie-straight" the font is installed
> and configured correctly. So, when I select a font in OpenOffice or some
> other app, I see a great long list of fonts that were installed via apt.
>
> Scribus does not find these same fonts, yet Scribus uses fontconfig to
> build its font list, yes? So, why can it not find all my fonts?

Only 1.3.x is, if it finds it when built. It will also reject fonts it sees as
bad, via freetype. Run "scribus --font-info" (or -fi) in a terminal window
and see if its rejecting those fonts.

Craig