[Scribus] Re: Re: on scribus 1.3.2cvs on MacOSX

PLinnell mrdocs
Fri Oct 14 01:38:56 CEST 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 18:19, Roberto wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks for your explanations.  Now I have a better grasp of what's
> going on and what we can expect from scribus-aqua.
> I hope your plans to optimize the app for mach/darwin/aqua to make
> it stand up to its linux version are successful in the middle run.
> Launching the app did get faster after the first runs, but in
> general the app feels so slow. It feels slower than the apple X11
> version, which already feels slower than the linux X11 version.
> (Besides, there's a bug that won't let me type any text. Does that
> happen to you?)
>
> This situation reminds me of Indesign 1.0 which was terribly slow.
> Now after years of optimizations the CS2 version on OSX runs smooth
> and feels snappy as far as I can say. However adobe's software are
> known to feel faster in Windows than in OSX. Maybe OSX is really to
> blame.
>
> Keep up the good work!

Hi,

As Andreas is away, I will add some general comments:

I know from our discussions on IRC and elsewhere, there are parts of
the graphical bits of Qt on OSX we know are not as fast as Linux or
Win32. That I attribute partly to the relative newness of Qt on OSX.
Some also I fully blame Apple for not giving the user the ability to
turn off some of the eye candy/animation silliness - something I
ruthlessly exorcize from Windows machines.

That said, my limited testing on a dual G-4 1.5 with 1GB of ram does
not feel unduly slow. The typing text issue I will check for, but
have not seen.

One cannot forget a few things:

It is still early yet. Andreas is pretty much working alone and has
been on this for only a few months. Adobe has a small army of good
talented coders to fix stuff.

Porting to OSX and Win32 has brought lots of goodness to the Linux
side too. Using different compilers and build environments has found
some optimizations and improvements we would not have found
otherwise.

Thanks for the kind words.

Peter