1.3.x is available for Debian, was Re: [Scribus] Newbie: Howto autosize text frames and other (I am sure)

David Goodenough david.goodenough
Tue Oct 11 17:56:41 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 16:48, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> * David Goodenough <david.goodenough at btconnect.com> [2005-10-11 10:50:07
+0100]:

> > > Tabs with fill chars are only implemented in 1.3
> >
> > I look forward to that, it has not reached regular Debian yet.
>
> David,
>
> 1.3 series might not ever reach Debian proper for all I know. It's a
> developmental series, which has not yet reached the stability of 1.2.x
> branch. Until it does I don't see a point in switching the version of the
> main Debian scribus package. Anyone is welcome to try to persuade me that
> it's not a good idea, of course. Please use scribus-cvs 1.3.x package from
> the upstream archive that I maintain on scribus.net. It can be installed in
> parallel with scribus as it goes into /usr/local hierarchy. You will get
> all the benefits of Debian package management such as automatic upgrades
> and clean removes and purges and no drawbacks that I would know of. I
> routinely use either 1.2.x (scribus) or 1.3.x (scribus-cvs) depending on
> how critical it is that I don't loose my work and what features I need and
> I haven't had any problems, yet. It also doesn't matter what branch of
> Debian or even Ubuntu you track as I build i386 packages for all of them.
> Take a look at
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_on_Debian_GNU/Linux for more
> information.

Now I remember what the problem was.  When I installed Qt I did not
install the -dev bits.  Since I installed Qt it has been upgraded, and so I
can not get back to the -dev bits that match the Qt bits I have installed.
So I can not build it from source.

I am not quite sure what is causing me the problems with the upgrade,
but at least one of the pacakges is kdebindings-java which has not completed
the transition and is one I use.  Unfortunately building the previous release
will not work as being a binding it is rather tied to the KDE installed.

To be honest the only real reason to move to the -cvs version is to make
sure that the features I am asking about have not already been done.

David