[Scribus] Linux Font Editor?

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht
Tue Oct 4 10:32:21 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 3. Oktober 2005 00:55 schrieb John Jordan:

> Tobias mentioned some Type 1 fonts (TIPA) by Rei Fukui
> including CTAN which listed a lot of fonts. But CTAN seems to
> require an account or password or something.

Hello John,

if I go for example to

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/tipa/

and mouse-click on tipa.zip (third line on that page - contains the fonts you
want see, including a LaTeX-oriented manual, which can give you a first
impression of the fonts) I can download it without password.

The package contains fonts in formats suitable only for (La)TeX as well as in
type 1 format (the *.pfb ones) which can be used by other applications (for
Linux, MacOS, Windows ...) as well. Take the font with the size closest to
your intended layout size, then scaling is best, but you don't have to stick
to this.

Creating a new font from scratch even using a graphical font editor is a lot
of work, the more so when it comes to good hinting. In many cases the free
solutions already available will suffice, and in most other cases I would
rather invest in a commercial solution.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht