[Scribus] Scribus for books?

Robert Memering memering
Wed Nov 16 02:10:46 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 15. November 2005 22:58 schrieb John R. Culleton:
> Scribus seems well-suited for highly graphical publishing, such as
> newsletters and brochures. But I wonder if anyone uses it for text
> heavy books, with tables of contents, indexes, running headers,
> fotnotes and the like.

Scribus has indeed suited me very well for graphical publishing, but it
doesn't have (and needn't have, in my opinion) all the features for
organizing and typesetting large documents.

LaTeX (plus BibTeX) _really_ has it all.

Besides, some features that are essential for quality typesetting
are still missing in scribus (most important for me: full support for
OpenType font features, and sophisticated tabular/tabbing functionality).

> Also, has anyone direct experience with using Scribus for book
> cover pdfs? Are there any macros or templates around for this
> application? This seems to be a more Scribus-like application than
> the text block of a book.

I agree, since book (or CD) covers often include colours and special
layout, scribus is definitely the right choice. However, I don't think
that there are any turnkey templates for this kind of job. It is too
idiosyncratic.

Regards,
Robert