[Scribus] making cards in FOSS, as opposed to Quark, et al

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Nov 9 15:31:35 CET 2005

>On Tuesday 08 November 2005 20:36, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
>>  I read with interest your post about Scribus and Quark.
>>
>>  I am trying to tackle a project involving some layout of text with graphics
>>  for spanish cards, as those shows at this link :
>  > www.2ndlanguagesuccess.com.
>>
>>  Currently, we have a designer who uses Quark (version 6 I believe, or 7 if
>>  that is out now). She is a good designer but she is exploiting us, cause we
>>  don't have any way to manipulate the cards, we don't own quark, or
>>  Illustrator, so this designer has us by the balls.

Hi Dr. Jones,

Your designer, as thousands of designers worldwide, is probably not
aware of the FLOSS capabilities. The actual use of Quark or any other
proprietary software using proprietary file format can be seen as a
trap for *both* the designer and the client. From that point of view,
you will find it to be difficult with a lot (if not almost all)
designers until FLOSS catch their attention, or until companies like
Quark and the like fully embrace the principles of open file formats.
My assumption is we are slowly (but surely) getting there.

As an everyday user of Quark, I don't think I am "exploiting" my
clients! But I do know that they have to buy a licence of Quark if
they want to edit my files themselves, provided I agreed to let go
those files at delivery time. At the same time, the client remains
the only owner of the content, original text and pictures that he
provided the designer to make the job. So he can go elsewhere if he
is not happy with the designer. More: many clients have ended clearly
asking, even demanding, that we provide the files in Quark file
format because they feel this gives them the "freedom" to go
elsewhere and have those files edited, if needed. By doing that, they
are of course closing the trap on their own hands in the long term.
But at the same time, how can they be proved wrong on the short term?
Provided *roughly* 70% of the designers are using Quark, is it not
reasonable to think that most everyone in this industry can deal with
a Quark document? This said, I plead like most people on this list
and supporters of Scribus, for open source software, open file
formats. The trap and threat of proprietary formats is real and
clearly affects the perennity of the documents we all produce using
those formats.

I am incline to think this is a great occasion to talk with your
designer and explain the value of Scribus, GIMP and Inkscape, for
example, which can all be used to produce high quality jobs. When
more and more clients will be aware like you are about FLOSS, and
will be putting positive pressure on the designers, if I may put it
this way, it will be a great step towards the adoption of Scribus and
its friends into the graphic art industry.

I think what really holds our "balls" is mostly ignorance (and money).

Only a few thoughts to share.

For the short answer to your question, I am with Craig. Provided you
have the skills and knowledge, Scribus is a great and serious tool
for professionnal DTP. Please note the fonts used to design your
cards are under licence as well, so you might have a close look into
this. And if you are planning to use the same layout, make sure your
designer has granted you the rights to modify or edit her layout.

Best regards,

Louis