[Scribus] scribus 1.3.1: working considerations
Tue Nov 1 09:10:53 CET 2005
Dear Scribus staff,
after a tricky parallel installation on my FC4 64 (not so difficult: just a
simlink for Python regarding config.log and a parallel Ghostscript 8.x) I can
appreciate the magnificent improvement of 1.3.1 Unit?: great! marvellous!
Better than expectations!
I'm working directly on a fullcolor large size (297x280 mm) book previously
created with Scribus 1.2.3 in A4 size. The process is hard: no way to resize
the pages without a big confusion in Scribus' mind. Anyway I've decided to
force me and software to obtain the target. Started on wenedsday 26.10, on
sunday 30.10 morning I have redone the 12 chapter (circa 100 pages) after 40
hs of work: the solution was a new template on Unit? and new files: no other
In this work I found out many things
01. the italian traslation seems not wrong but remixed: right words in a wrong
place (and full of spurious &) and a lot of duplication, how can I fix it?
(the translation howto on wiki.scribus seems to refer on a traslation ex
novo, not about a emendation);
02. why is impossible to change the masterpages' dimensions according to the
other pages of document (once for all document)?
03. in the bottom panel the numerator of page "n of N" looks "[blank] of n";
04. on multiple page importation the text chain is broken...;
05. after a copy/paste scribus become very slow (depending on a dimension of
06. odd things about measures on change the XYZ base point (topleft to
center): vertical position thousand times bigger;
06bis. and beetween to objects on the same vertical position: the numbers are
wrong and much different; if you click on the page and then on the object,
the numbers turn right.
07. copy and paste does'nt work on different pages: paste only on page of
origin, not in the choosed page (only by clicking right the mouse) in Scriubs
1.2.3 copy&paste works perfectly (same place if paste from menu, click place
on mouse menu);
08. when importing pages, a lot of "copy of" paragraph-style and "copy of"
line-style is produced, also "copy of copy of";
09. like in older Scribus, masterlines are too sticky (like a young
velociraptor, I feel);
10. is possible to transform the gray fatty lines of linked textframes in
clearly light oriented arrows?;
11. sometimes in the internal text editor the indication of paragraph style
disappears (on change kde-desktop reappears: Qt problem?).
12. Scribus is slow (on a Venice 64bit with 2 giga) with: old version files;
after copy&paste large text or object;
13. Hyphenation looks better but not perfect (ok the perfection is not human,
but also the typographers are not completly human)
14. odd colors in pdf opened with Adobe 7 but right colors with Xpdf viewer
A dirty trick:
a. transfert long flow text from two different document without break the
links: 1. open thw two documents in two windows; 2. enlarge the box text in
large size with the properties tool (like 1000x1000 mm or more&more); 3.
copy; 4. paste in the other document, resize with the properties tool &
create a new chain of new textboxes; et voil?! (but if the text is 1.2.3
version Scribus becames very slow).
I've a dream (a couples of):
I. "clone&flow": when a text frame is to small, clicking on the small sad X on
the bottomrightangle, it magically duplicate a new textbox with the same
dimensions & options of the origin box ant the text flows automatically
linked into the new box! In the same page, but also (better) in a new page;
II. "god touch": one change in everything (textstyle, frame dimensions,
layers, etc. etc.) in a model affects all the documents produced with this
model (not automatically!);
III. a clear, impressive, idiot-proof structure of the source of document, so
I can edit directly the .sla file (now only few things).
greetings from Venice (Italy)!
More information about the scribus