[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Marvin Dickens marvindickens
Mon May 30 19:50:26 CEST 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 01:22 pm, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:12:06 -0400
>
> Marvin Dickens <marvindickens at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 May 2005 02:06 pm, Maciej Hanski wrote:

> > > ---CUT---------

> > > Hmm.
> > >
> > > If "Software means fonts" 1(iii)
> > >
> > > AND
> > >
> > > "You are not authorized to integrate or use the Software with any
> > > other software" 2.5
> > >
> > > THEN
> > >
> > > we cannot use these fonts in Scribus for free :(
> > >
> > > -----------
> > >
> > > Am I right? I hope not... Are there any lawyers on the list?
> > >
> > > M.
> >
> > I am no lawyer, however, the license clearly states they are free for
> > non-commercial use. So, you can use them as long as your not using
> > them in an money making enterprise. This license is restrictive, but
> > not as restrictive as the gpl is when applied to fonts.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marvin
>
> Hi Marvin,
>
> well, the above licence clearly defines fonts as part of "the Software"
> and clearly forbids to use "the Software" with any other software. Could
> you point me to the clear statement, you are referring to? Do you mean
> the same licence as the abovementioned?

The way I read it is that it states you cannot embed them, but you can
reference them. Of course, referencing them requires the fonts to be
on the system of the document that is referencing them. Regarding my
original statement, I clearly did not read the license well and subsequently
shot my self in the foot with my post  :)

Best regards

Marvin Dickens
Alpharetta, Georgia  USA