[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Maciej Hanski ma_han2000
Sun May 29 13:30:42 CEST 2005

On Sun, 29 May 2005 02:06:51 +0200
Christoph Sch?fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_faq&_sc=1#22c6ec4f
>
> "Licensing
> I would like to bundle Gentium with my application. Can you give me
> permission?
>
> This is our most common question. At this point, the license does not
> allow this. You would need to negotiate a separate distribution
> license with us. If you are interested in this (and understand that it
> will likely require some type of payment) please contact us. We are
> looking toward more open development and licensing models, but that
> will take time.
>
> Can I use the font on my web site?
>
> You can certainly create web pages that request that Gentium be used
> to display them (if that font is available on the user_s system).
> According to the license, you are even allowed to place the font on
> your site for people to download it, but only if there is no charge
> and the distribution file is identical to the one on our site. We
> would strongly prefer, however, that you direct users to our site to
> download the font. To make this easier, we_ve simplified the URL for
> Gentium: scripts.sil.org/gentium
>
> Is Gentium going to stay free, or is it just a teaser for a later
> commercial version?
>
> We do understand your concern here. There is no intention to ever
> charge users for using Gentium. Those wishing to include Gentium with
> a commercial product or bundle it with other items for sale, however,
> would likely be required to pay licensing fees."
>

> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium&_sc=1
>
> "Gentium is freely available and may be used by anyone at no cost. It
> is not public domain, and cannot be altered, but can be given to
> anyone who might need it."
>

> In my understanding, creating files for printing (including commercial
>
> printing) is not distribution. This will, of course, not prevent an
> overeager IP lawyer from going after you, but SIL is an international
> organisation, recognised by the UN.
>

> HTH
>
> Christoph

Thanks Christoph, I really appreciate your feedback, somehow, we are
getting nearer :)

Regarding the both "Polish" antiquas (which
are widely used by Polish TeX users)  that start the typeface list:

1. Antykwa Poltawskiego is  definitely Public Domain, which
means it's not copyrighted and you can do with it whatever you like:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/antp.html

2. Antykwa Torunska (Antiqua from Torun/Thorn)  can be used and
distributed for free (GNU licence), as stated on the website of it's
author:

http://www.janusz.nowacki.strefa.pl/index.html

(Meanwhile confirmed on on pl.comp.dtp.tex )

3. Myriad Pro and Minion Pro: still much uncertainty about this two. I
think if we convert text to paths or don't embed them and deliver our
documents along with our Live DTP CD
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Live_DTP_CD to the printer, nobody is
going to sue us. But they still deserve a big, fat warning until we know
better.

BTW, since the most feedback on this topic is from German native speakers,
what about initiating a similar wiki page in German, with German free
fonts and text samples? It would be the first German Scribus Wiki
article...

LG
Maciej