[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun May 29 02:06:51 CEST 2005

Hi Maciej,

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium_faq&_sc=1#22c6ec4f

"Licensing
I would like to bundle Gentium with my application. Can you give me
permission?

This is our most common question. At this point, the license does not
allow this. You would need to negotiate a separate distribution license
with us. If you are interested in this (and understand that it will
likely require some type of payment) please contact us. We are looking
toward more open development and licensing models, but that will take time.

Can I use the font on my web site?

You can certainly create web pages that request that Gentium be used to
display them (if that font is available on the user?s system). According
to the license, you are even allowed to place the font on your site for
people to download it, but only if there is no charge and the
distribution file is identical to the one on our site. We would strongly
prefer, however, that you direct users to our site to download the font.
To make this easier, we?ve simplified the URL for Gentium:
scripts.sil.org/gentium

Is Gentium going to stay free, or is it just a teaser for a later
commercial version?

We do understand your concern here. There is no intention to ever charge
users for using Gentium. Those wishing to include Gentium with a
commercial product or bundle it with other items for sale, however,
would likely be required to pay licensing fees."

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium&_sc=1

"Gentium is freely available and may be used by anyone at no cost. It is
not public domain, and cannot be altered, but can be given to anyone who
might need it."

In my understanding, creating files for printing (including commercial
printing) is not distribution. This will, of course, not prevent an
overeager IP lawyer from going after you, but SIL is an international
organisation, recognised by the UN.

HTH

Christoph