[Scribus] Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri May 27 20:18:14 CEST 2005

Hi Maciej,

To answer your question (or at least trying to):

1. Gentium, as a serif font, is well suited for the production of books
or magazines with large amounts of text. But be careful. Gentium is a
bit tricky, because the ascents of lower case letters are higher than
those of capital letters. Take care of line spacing! I have used Gentium
for real world production purposes, and it looks great, plus it has
excellent italics.

2. I couldn't find any hints in Adobe's AR 7 license on the use of the
fonts. However, I wouldn't hesitate using them, because you can be
almost sure that whoever will print your PDFs has the font installed
(via AR 7). In case you're in doubt, call the printer. You still have
the option to include only the glyphs actually used in your document,
or, in case the printer has the font installed, not to include them at
all. That's how I deal with the problem, because Myriad and Minion are
too good to ignore them.

HTH

Christoph