[Scribus] ligatures in Scribus

MaHan ma_han2000
Wed May 25 10:40:33 CEST 2005

--- Janusz Prendota <afila at afila.pl> schrieb:
> Dnia wtorek, 24 maja 2005 18:16, Peter Nermander
> napisa?:
> > > It should be reversible. I have to see the
> diferrences betwen designs and
> > > after seeing deciding what is best.
> >
> > Yes, use of ligatures or not is not a matter of
> replacing characters in the
> > text, it's a matter of choosing glyph for
> "rendering".
> >
> > In my opinion the characters present in the text
> should NOT change.
> > (Because then you can not copy the text and paste
> it into a text editor or
> > similar.)
> >
> > If I have the letter "ff" in the text they shall
> remain there, but if the
> > font has an ff-ligature they should be visually
> presented using that
> > ligature.
> Yes, this is the point! And my design needs reflects
> my decisions:
> Will I switch on the font (with ligatures) or maybe
> take different approach...
> Janusz

Hi Janusz,
this exchange of views about ligatures has been a very
interesting read for me, since this is something, I'm
being asked almost every time I post about the
progress of Scribus to  Polish Usenet groups, e.g.
pl.comp.dtp. It seems to be of crucial importance not
only to you... There is a special feature request for
it:

 http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1413

I think, the best thing that you and people with your
knowledge and well-defined needs can do at this stage
of Scribus 1.3.x development, is to create yourself an
account for http://bugs.scribus.net  (it's just a few
text fields and clicks) and add your comments and
wishes there. This is where most features of Scribus
are shaped, defined and where their pros and cons are
discussed, bevor Scribus developers start to code
them.

cheers
Maciej