[Scribus] Quark 7

frank gaude' tanzen
Wed May 25 05:16:59 CEST 2005

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

>> I've found some interesting info on the upcoming quark 7
>>
>> http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1759,1766264,00.asp
>>
>> jozsefmak
>

> Fine! At first glance, Quark seems to implement some features scribus
> already has (or will have as soon as 1.4 is out -- I'm waiting with
> baited breath ...).
>
> To be honest, I don't think scribus developers should look at Quark
> anymore as an example. InDesign is state of the art today, and as much
> as I dislike proprietary software, it's great. In my view, scribus
> should be able to offer an alternative to InDesign without simply
> "copying" its features.
>
> Unfortunately, matching InDesign's features and reliability won't be
> enough to compete with Adobe's offerings. GIMP and Inkscape are
> marching at an impressive pace, but when it comes to printing, they
> are useless without scribus and/or Photoshop and Acrobat.
>
> As much as I admire the progress of FOSS, there are still lots of
> pieces to add to a seamless Open Source publishing workflow (think
> about job tickets, software like pitstop etc.)
>
> Back to parent: QuarkXPress is dead in the water. For those who have
> suffered from Quark in the past (a lot of people), this might be final
> justice, but after Adobe buying out Macromedia, the publishing
> community has to deal with a new monopoly.
>
> My apologies for the rant.

Rant on, fellow... I am in full agreement with you. Even now Adobe has
raised the bar so high, with CS2 and Bridge between InDesign, Photoshop
and their other programs, that others will likely never catch up.
Scribus will get there and along with GIMP and Inkscape will be about as
good as Open Source can do for a very long time.

In my view too much human energy is being wasted on all the various
distros instead of better integration of a variety of programs for
office and graphics production.

Excuse my ranting... <smile>

Frank