[Scribus] Scribus installation under the home directory

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Wed May 25 03:46:49 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to install Scribus in /home/my-user-name/bin/Scribus
directory in my own normal user account (I want to keep the OS intact)
on my Fedora Core 3 using appropriate prefixes.  However, in order to
install some related software such as GSView, GhostScript or PS2Edit
(I can't recall the exact version), I need to install ZLib and JPEG
libraries as well.  My problem is:  how GhostScript, PS2Edit, GSView
(or any software needing ZLib and/or JPEG to configure/
make/make-install itself properly) are going to find the libraries
that I have configure/make / make-installed in my own home directory
(/home/my-user-name/lib/Zlib, /home/my-user-name/lib/jpeg).  That is,
I have older versions of ZLib and JPEG libraries lying around
somewhere in one of the FC3 system directories;  I have installed the
ZLib and JPEG libraries under my home directory as well ->  How am I
going to make the latest versions of GS, GSView and PS2Edit detect the
newer installed versions of ZLib/JPEG libraries which I also installed
under my home directory?  My directory structure (as I plan to do it)
is like this:

                                ~|__bin
                                          |__Scribus
                                          |__GhostScript
                                          |__GSView
                                          |__PS2Edit
                                  |__lib
                                          |__JPEG
                                          |__ZLIB

I have installed other programs as well like this but, fortunately,
the dependencies in previous installations were only specific to
executables and I resolved it by modifying my account's PATH variable
to reflect the latest versions of the dependencies.  However, I am at
a loss as to how I am going to make PS2Edit, GSView or GhostScript
pick up the latest versions of ZLib and JPEG libraries installed under
my home directory.

I understand this is not directly related to Scribus but I would
certainly be thankful if anyone of you could tell me how to install
Scribus-related libraries (ZLib, JPEG, etc) under a tree in my own
home directory.

--
Best regards

Asif Lodhi