[Scribus] Compiling Scribus on Ubuntu with apt-get -b problems :-(

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Tue May 24 23:52:38 CEST 2005

* j Mak <joz_mak at yahoo.ca> [2005-05-24 16:42:02 -0400]:

> > it was happy to go ahead

> > not found
> > support'

> > > Hi Sergio
> > >
> > > I have both of these debs.
> >
> > Julian,
> >
> > Please run "apt-get build-dep scribus". It should
> > install all necessary
> > developmental files for scribus compilation.
> >
> > Quoting from the apt-get man page:
> > "build-dep causes apt-get to install/remove packages
> > in an attempt to satisfy
> > the build dependencies for a source  package."
> >
> > Make sure you have "build-essential" installed on
> > your system.
> >

> I don't understand, why are these complicated
> suggestions about installing scribus on ubuntu.
> Yesterday, I just downloaded the 1.3 snapshot from the
> scribus site and installed it on my Hoary without any
> problem using the traditional method of configure,
> make, and make install procedure.
>
> Regards,
> jozsefmak

Jozsef,

His problem is not very common and once resolved should not reappear in usual
circumstanses. I produce source and binary Debian packages of both Scribus
1.2cvs and 1.3cvs. All it takes to get both of those either on Debian, Ubuntu,
Knoppix and other Debian-related systems is one short command after one time
addition of source lines to /etc/apt/sources.list. That's all. What is
complicated about it?

The advantage of using a binary package or building from a source package with
"apt-get source -b" is that with one command he can produce a binary package
that can be handled by his distribution's package management system. A lot of
people seem to consider not littering their system with hand-compiled software
quite valuable and good package management systems like apt in Debian can keep
a system clean and running well for many years. For instance, I have not had a
software-related reason to reinstall Debian Linux on 4 computer systems I
manage since I first installed it on them years ago. I attribute a lot of that
success to a good package management system and stringent policy requirements
that help developers produce packages of high quality.

In cases when it is absolutely impossible to utilise package management system
it is possible to resort to installation trackers/managers such as xstow (my
favorite) or checkinstall, of course. This method can be used for keeping a
copy of Scribus in /usr/local, but what's the point?

Regards,

Alex.