[Scribus] XML format used in Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Sun May 15 02:56:27 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 22:34 +0200, PLinnell wrote:

> The only barriers we encounter with upgrading is when a particular
> user's distro does not have new enough versions of libraries to
> support the current version of Scribus.

If I can ever find the time (*sigh*) I'd like to look into doing a
static build of Scribus. While still a dynamically linked app, you can
statically link in the key libraries like qt, libxml, etc and make
builds that'll run on any glibc 2.3 (or whatever) system. This shouldn't
actually be too hard (last time I tried it I was trying to do it
*totally* the wrong way) but will take some time to set up the build
environment for.

Once we can ship static builds, it's just a matter of downloading a
tarball or if someone can be bothered making packages, an RPM or deb,
and unpacking/installing it. No dependencies to care about, will work on
basically any distro whose CDs haven't de-laminated with age.

That should *significantly* help the upgrade-on-ancient-distro problem.

--
Craig Ringer