[Scribus] Scribus on MacAddict CD

Howard White howardwhite
Mon May 9 00:55:06 CEST 2005

The May issue of MacAddict magazine has a CD which includes Scribus 1.2
The info provided is minimal; says you need fink and X11.
The CD also includes Aqua Scribus, (a little script that launches
Scribus when you drop an .sla file in it), fink, and Fink Commander
(the last is redundant because Fink Commander is included in the fink
package.

Anyway, what it leaves out is that you also need to install the X11
SDK, which includes, among other things, the gcc 3.3. compiler. Mac
OSX 10.4 (Tiger)  also includes the GCC 4.0 compiler, but if you
install only this one,  scribus configure faiils, complaining that it
doesn't find a suitable compiler. You have to install 3.3 as well.

To test all of this, I installed all of this on a Mac which had
previously been unsullied by fink or Scribus or any development
tools. It failed.

Aside from complaining about not finding jpeg libs (which I had
resolved on another Mac by downloading and compiling them,  configure
fails as follows:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0.2) (library qt-mt)
not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!

I am still messing around with all of this but though I would let you
all know about this. Essentially, the MacAddict stuff seems to be
useless, and that's not good news for would-be Mac Scribus users.

I was first turned on to Scribus thanks to MacAddict several months
ago, and successfully installed the whole thing from fink.  I am also
using a pre-alpha Mac-specific version of 1.3.0.

I am not sure whether it's appropriate to write a letter to
MacAddict, but I'm thinking about it.

HW