[Scribus] Basic questions about using ligatures in Scribus

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun May 8 15:10:04 CEST 2005

>On Sunday 08 of May 2005 13:51, Craig Bradney wrote:
>>  If you want to use ligatures, you have to put them in manually at this
>>  point in time.
>
>...and it's very annoying. It should be done automatically. Other thing - it
>will be propably time consuming for large texts.

This is a perfect use for a "multiple search & replace" feature which
would allow users to set any number of strings to be looked for and
substituted, at once. One could save this search & replace file for
further use. So, in the ligature case, you could have a preset file
simply called "Ligatures" and call it at any time in production.

That way, and until OpenType extra glyphs are fully and automatically
supported in Scribus (and even when they are), this could make
possible the use of the Expert series fonts that have all those extra
glyphs not found in the regular typeface. Who wants to search &
replace *one at a time* all the digits from 0 to 9 to set the regular
"Cap height" numbers to their "lowercase" counterparts? etc. Examples
for this are tons.

AFAIK, "multiple search & replace" doesn't exist in any of the
well-known DTP app (nor in any WP app). Only Quark had an XTension
called AliasPro back in the years of version 2-3-4. This XTension is
not maintained anymore. It was perfect to "clean" text coming from
various sources and help formatting.

Personnaly, I would see this feature as a *very* nice addition to Scribus.

(Filed as bug #1105)

:)

Louis