[Scribus] quality images for press (digital camera? cheap/freeonline stock s? scan?)

Marvin Dickens marvindickens
Thu May 5 07:19:28 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 07:57 pm, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> I can only talk of myself, but I still prefer 'real' photos made with a
> good camera and good films. But of course you need an excellent scanner
> for premium results.
>
> In addition to what Craig, Rainer and Neil wrote, I want to direct your
> attention to the Leica R9 SLR for which a digital back is available now
> (presumed you have a fortune to spend for a camera). In my experience
> Leica lenses are still the best when it comes to colours and difficult
> exposures. If you can't afford a Leica and want to take only digital
> photographs look at Panasonic SLRs. Some of them are equipped with
> lenses from Leica and are much cheaper than Leicas.
>
> Christoph

I second Leica lens quality. In the event you can't afford/get a Leica lens,
Nikon is my second choice. Even so, anyway you look at it, Leica rules
and has since they offered their first camera for sale in 1925. Further,
second hand Leica cameras, if they are in good shape, beat any new
camera made by any other manufacturer you can buy - hands down.
The trade off is that they cost as much as some very low end new
automobiles.

Also, as someone else pointed out, digital zoom is absolutely worthless. This
technology, like image scanners that claim 2400 x 2400 DPI resolution (Or
better), is based on digital algorithms that enhance by guessing what the
image should look like if enlarged - In fact, the algorithm produces an
enlargement that is hocked off to the user as a magnification. The quality,
as my high school aged nephew would state: 5ucks.

Best regards

M. Peck Dickens