[Scribus] quality images for press (digital camera? cheap/free online stock s? scan?)

Aakin N. Patel aakin
Wed May 4 22:10:48 CEST 2005

I've done a lot of print and publication work for a science fiction
convention (I handle all their ads, program books, newsletters,etc ).
I've also been an amateur photographer for a while, and often use my
own photographs in the publications for the con.

To that end, 2 MP photos work really well. 3.2 MP photos (which is
the most my camera can do at the moment) look flawless on a 8.5x11
inch page, even when the photo takes up the full page. This is also
true when printed on photo media via my printer (canon i9900 - a
fairly high quality photo printer).

Unless you are making extremely large (poster size or larger) prints,
what your photo shop told you is absolutely correct in my experience.
Most of the megapixel hype is just that - marketing hype. You are
much better off spending the extra money on a camera with a better
sensor and perhaps a better zoom lens - if you can get close to the
subject, you don't need to crop.

							- Aakin