[Scribus] templates and templates

Phil Hughes fyl
Wed May 4 03:13:30 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:07:11AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 00:58 +0000, Riku Leino wrote:
>
> > You should also see "New". Click it. Then give name to your template edit it
> > (draw a black square or something to the page) and click close. Now you can
> > apply your just created "master page" to any of your document's pages by
> > opening the page palette and dragging your template to the pages where you
> > want to apply it.
>
> Note that you alter the template /with the templates palette open/ .
> Closing the palette returns you to editing the page its self. I
> personally find this behaviour rather confusing - perhaps some sort of
> mode toggle in the palette would help.

Thanks for saying this. That really was the big confusion. While I
didn't understand how everything was supposed to work, missing this
got we totally lost.

> Also, I find that calling the menu item Edit->Templates makes me expect
> a dialog not a palette. I found that rather confusing. It's better in
> 1.3 now that access to the palettes is all together in the menus.

I have been trying stuff on 1.3 as well and I agree, this does make
more sense here.

> > "Append" will append "master pages" from another document. So it won't do
> > anything if you don't have any master pages created in the doc from where
> > you're appending.
>
> That's probably a candidate for a rename to 'Import...'.

I think this whole process is a candidate for a "this is how you set
up doing a book/magazine/newspaper/...". I am not ready to write it
yet but, when I am, if it hasn't been done than I will do it.

While I am not the person using Quark daily, I did figure it all out
when we started doing magazines. I know the capabilities are there in
Scribus so I am not the guy that should be confused.
--
Phil Hughes, fyl at a42.com  Phone: 505-713-5675
Aptdo. Postal 201, Esteli, Esteli, NICARAGUA