[Scribus] word wrap error

Rainer Heilke rheilke
Sun May 1 19:38:37 CEST 2005

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Rainer Heilke wrote:
>
>> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure about the UK, but I know in the US, typists/word
>>> processors usually put two spaces between sentences, and this is
>>> perhaps where Scribus has a problem.  Since we're in such a habit of
>>> typing two spaces between sentences, Scribus needs to allow for this.
>>

>> Just to clarify a touch, the "two space" habit is a hold-over from
>> typewriters and when computers only had fixed-width fonts. Whenever
>> you have proportional fonts, this is considered unacceptable (at
>> least it is here in Canada). Not to criticize, but I'm surprised
>> anyone does this any more.
>
> Well, like so many other standards, I'd have to say on a practical
> level, there isn't any standard in the US, aside from publishing/printing.

> (I wonder of the Canadian situation might be an agreement between
> French and English.)

Actually, I think it has to do with Canadian "rules" being stricter,
coming from our stronger British heritage. Canadian English has always
been _much_ closer to British English than it has to American English,
though that is slowly changing thanks largely to TV. For the most part,
the French and English segments of Canadian society tend to ignore each
other's tendencies in these matters.

> The other thing to consider is that text may be imported from a
> variety of new and old sources, and like Latex, I think it would be
> good for Scribus to adapt.  I wouldn't think the coding for this would
> be so difficult.  The chore of going through a lot of imported text
> and manually "fixing" this is substantial and subject to errors.

This is a very appropriate point to raise, and may perhaps suggest
raising the importance of the issue. I hadn't been thinking along these
lines. My apologies for missing this.

> Whether it's a "bug" or not is a philosophical question, I think.

I was thinking of this in terms of how important the spacing was to
address. Since I'm not a programmer, I'm not on the Scribus development
team. Because of that, I don't know what burning issues they have, and
was merely suggesting it shouldn't necessarily be on the top of the
list. My understanding of software development (as a systems
administrator for many years) is that bugs always get a higher priority
than enhancements. That was the gist of my statement.

Rainer