[Scribus] Win32 port

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive
Thu Mar 31 14:59:45 CEST 2005

Hi,

 >>>I agree with you that the best route would be for this to NOT require

I don't think of GS as an alternative print system in this instance so
much as a bridge between PostScript output and the existing Windows
print system.

 > The win32 installation of ghostscript is painless. All dependencies
 > are contained in the distribution. Further, using the existing
 > framework within scribus regarding printing makes more sense than
 > implimenting new code to enable printing. Why reinvent the wheel?

Precisely; I imagine a solution involving GhostScript could be crafted
in just a few hours, whereas adding full GDI output to Scribus would
likely be many days / weeks of work...

 > Also, if my memory serves me correctly, both GIMP for win32 and
 > cinepaint for win32 require
 > ghostscript.

They'll run without GS, but can't load PS / EPS / PDF files without it.

Actually, doesn't scribus already depend on GS for the same reasons?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson