[Scribus] Templates are a mystery!

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Thu Mar 24 15:15:31 CET 2005

>I'm new to Scribus, and much of it is impressive, but some of it is
>a mystery to me.
>
>I create a template, thus: start with a plain, standard page, add
>some guides, then "Save as template" (giving it a name, specifying
>that is should live in the "Own Templates" group, etc)
>
>Now, after this, if I begin a brand new document "New from
>template", there is my template--WONDERFUL!
>
>However, if I take a plain page and try "Apply templates" the only
>choice of template is "Normal" (which is not even an official
>template; at least it's not one of the choices when you use "New
>from template")
>
>In the same way, when you try "Edit templates", the only choice is "Normal".
>
>Same thing, if you try to insert page, and you only have a choice of "Normal".
>
>Obviously I must be missing something, and I'm sure I'll feel
>incredibly stupid when somebody tells me....but I give up!  Are
>there two separate mystery vaults for the templates?

Hi John,

First of all, I must say there is a little confusion because Scribus
uses the word "Template" for 2 different things. The Template you
have success with is like another document. So you create a new
document *based* on that Template. On the other hand, the "Templates"
you are struggling with are part of the current document and you
create, edit and apply them to existing pages of your document. When
you save, your document's templates are saved along.

Now, to help you achieve what you want here are the steps.

1. Go to Edit>Templates. You'll be in front of a blank page which is
the default "Normal" templates for all new pages created in that
particular document. You can either edit this page by putting objects
directly on it. When you click OK, this will automatically reflects
in the current page.
2. Your other choice is to add to that list new templates. Click New
in that menu and a new blank page will appear for you to fill with
any object. If you checked "facing pages" when you first created your
new document you'll have the opportunity to make a template for a
right hand page or a left hand page.
3. When you're done, click OK. You'll be back in your current document.
4. Go to Page>Apply Templates and you'll see the list of templates
available you just created.

HTH

:)

Louis