[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Mar 24 04:49:30 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 00:54 +0100, Martin Costabel wrote:

> > Indirect linking changes:
> > 	Not yet merged. I'm going to play around with that stuff
> > 	next time I get the chance and see what's going on. An
> > 	explanation of what that does, why it's needed, and what
> > 	breaks if it's missing would be very helpful. Again,
> > 	changes would have to be made to the Makefile.am, but
> > 	in this case that's trivial.
>
> Here I am not sure (haven't had the time to test) if this is still
> necessary. Without these, the libpdf and scripter plugins were not built
> with a compiler error message about an illegal reference to a symbol in
> an indirectly referenced library. It is possible that with the new build
>   system of the plugins or some other changes, this is no longer
> necessary, but one has to check these rtwo plugins whether they work,
> and the former compile error was not shifted to a runtime error. Plugin
> runtime errors are not so easy to debug, or is there a simple way to
> print the value of dlerror() at runtime without changing the sources?

I don't think you can have it display a dialog of it without tweaking
the sources, no. You don't need to though - you can view the stderr
output from an app run in a .app in the system log viewer.

> > strndup:
> > 	Not yet merged. Should probably go, since as you note only
> > 	a strdup is required. However, strndup(...) is present on
> > 	MacOS/X 10.3 .
>
> Not on my 10.3.8 here.

Nor mine :S

My mistake. I wasn't yet building the Python plugin, so I never hit the
error, and I looked up the manpage on the wrong system. Too many screen
sessions open for my poor little brain, I guess.

> > LIBFONTCONFIG_LIBS changes:
> > 	Not yet merged. This appears to be a fontconfig bug - fontconfig
> > 	requires expat to link correctly, but does not include -lexpat
> > 	in its fontconfig.la . I wanted to look into this more before
> > 	making any build system changes, especially since fontconfig
> > 	is linked fine on otherplatforms (ie, what's different
> > 	about fontconfig on OS/X?). I don't understand the purpose
> > 	of the explict -L%p/lib ; that should be handled by a
> > 	LIBRARY_PATH env var or by 'pkg-config --libs fontconfig' .
> > 	Maybe fink's fontconfig needs to include a -L directive in
> > 	it's .pc file and you need to make sure that .pc file is first
> > 	on the PKG_CONFIG_PATH ?
>
> In Fink, there is only a static fontconfig2 library. It is somewhat
> difficult to convince the linker to use this one and not the dynamic
> fontconfig.1.dylib from /usr/X11R6/lib. If one lets the X11
> libfontconfig get linked in, it pulls in some other stuff from
> /usr/X11R6 that one probably doesn't want. The difference to other
> systems is that we don't want X11 now for this version of scribus (I
> will continue to look after the X11 version in Fink, though).

That makes sense. Most dynamic linkers will strongly prefer a dynamic
lib to a static one too, as you say. IIRC on Linux it goes so far as
that the dynamic linker will never use a static version of a lib if a
dynamic version can be found ANYWHERE on the library search path.

> > I'm not sure if I missed anything. Please let me know if so.
>
> The QT_LIBS question needs to be addressed. I suspect that the KDE build
> system is a little sloppy there because they cannot imagine that
> somebody has two versions of libqt installed. What I saw is that
> configure detects libqt and the qt headers correctly and defines the
> variables $QT_LDFLAGS and $LIB_QT correctly and transmits them to the
> Makefiles, but they don't show up on the linker lines. This could be
> something for Makefile.am, but I don't really speak the language of the
> auto tools, so I don't know where is the right point to add something here.

OK. I've have to look at what the admin dir is doing and probably ask a
few of the KDE guys.

--
Craig Ringer