[Scribus] [Patch] MacOSX native

Andreas Vox vox
Sun Mar 13 20:51:32 CET 2005

Hi Martin!

> What took me the longest was to beat Qt/Mac into submission. In
> particular it was not quite obvious how to find a suitable set of
> configure options and how to convince it to install things the Fink
> way.
> For a definite Fink package, this will probably have to change again
> considerably. But as a tool for building Scribus, it seems to be OK.

Ah, good, I couldn't have done this.

> Concerning the Scribus application, here is first the good news: It
> seems that with this version of 1.3cvs, the colors are displayed
> correctly!

My assumption is that you still had the old "color-correct" patch
applied.

> There is also no problem with finding fonts. If one lists the
> fonts directories in ~/.scribus/scribusfont13.rc, at least the
> postscript fonts that can be used in X11 are seen also.

I'll try that. Do you have experience with MacOSX datafork fonts?

> The bad news is that there are bugs with the window management. For
> example, the Properties tool window ends up glued into the right upper
> corner of the screen, its title bar hidden behind the screen menu bar,
> so that it is practically unusable.

Can't confirm that. Maybe a stale prefs file like Craig suggested.

> There are problems with scrolling,
> where the screen is sometimes not redrawn correctly.

I noticed that also: using the scrollbar to scroll down line by line
messes
up completely, scrolling up is ok. I'll look into that.

I also fond out that you have to change

-        bitBlt(m_target, 0, 0, &qimg);
+        bitBlt(m_target, m_x, m_y, &qimg);

in ScPainter::end(), otherwise you will get garbage in the top left
corner
when you select some object and change its properties.

> Tackling these
> problems is far outside of my domain of knowledge. Someone with insight
> in Mac programming, in particular also with Qt/Mac, is probably needed
> here.

I'll try. Right now I'm trying to get the Navigation bar in scribusview
look good, Aqua buttons just will not do there :-)

> So whereas many things are working, this is not yet ready to be
> unleashed onto the Mac user community.

Definitely not! Only for persons who beg ;-)

> But I hope that the situation is
> now such that the real problems can be attacked.

Yes.
Should we try to get all these changes into CVS head? Right now
it's all quite localized with #ifdef QT_MAC, so it shouldn't be a
problem.

> A final remark: The Scribus.app produced by the scribus-aqua package
> is,
> of course, not a standalone application that can be distributed
> independently. For running, it needs a lot of libraries from Fink. But
> repackaging this differently, once it is working correctly, is a minor
> difficulty, IMHO.

I'll look into what has to be done in order to make Scribus find the
packaged
libraries / plugins.