[Scribus] fonts suse 9.1 vs 9.2

bart at solozone.com bart
Thu Mar 10 05:36:58 CET 2005

OK, I will tell you what has happened. I culled the "bad fonts" on SuSe 9.2 under scribus1.3.0cvs and put them in a "bad_fonts" folder. Fine. I went through the 'font preview' one by one.

HERE I AM under 9.1 and these same fonts are OK!! Do not tell me fontconfig rejects them (as user fonts all BTW). 9.1 uses XFree86 and 9.2 uses X.org, yes/no? Is THIS what is going on? I do not think the previous replies to my queries really got this subtlety. The system fonts that SuSe used to ship (Omega e.g) have vanished. How can one do DTP when one's OS stabs one in the back?

I will be glad to send P Linell the sla and pdf off-list if he would like to see. I HAD printed out (on a Canon BJ-200 (!)), a demo some time ago (using 9.0 and 9.1) and it was quite pretty.

Bart Alberti