[Scribus] appearance complaints; also Unicode

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Mar 7 00:13:12 CET 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 04:19, bart at solozone.com wrote:
> Under "preferences", the panel is ungainly it shows
> Typograph
>
> and
> Hyphenato
>
> The left panel does not expand; but  the right panel does.
> This is on 9.1 SuSe but my 9.2 with a bigger and better monitor
> does the same

Tested this on 9.2 (new install). I can go upto 16pts for the font
size in the prefs panel before it wraps. That's with 1152x848, which
is _really_ large for that screen size. Makes Scribus look like it
was sized for 640x480 .. /me remembers horrible Win 3.1 days.

> ALSO
>  "Build ID: 3. March 2005" is wrong usage. What is shown is the
> THIRD build of March 2005 when what is meant is something like
> "Build ID: Mar. 3, 2005" (American usage) or simply
> "Build ID: 3 March 2005" (no dot here)

Fixed in CVS. A minor typo.

> Additionally does anyone know how to handle the Unicode fonts e.g
> Cardo Gentium and the big download gnu-ucs which makes no sense to
> me at all. SUSe 9.2 uses UTF-8 by default but the old fonts that
> came with XFree4 no longer ship with Xorg. G-r-r-. Gentium seems to
> show but not Cardo so well.

At least where Scribus is concerned, it could be missing some glyphs.
I loaded Cardo 98 and if I try and use some Greek glyphs, they do no
show on the canvas, nor in postscript. Possibly a font bug. Most of
the other character sets work OK, including Hebrew and others. There
is a separate issue in the way Scribus displays Hebrew accents, but
we are aware of it.

> Bart ALberti

Cheers,

Peter