[Scribus] MacOS native version

Andreas Vox vox
Sun Mar 6 17:04:33 CET 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:
>  In the medium term I'd like
> to look at trying to access fonts via the MacOS/X font apis ... but
> that
> might require things like a carbonized version of freetype that knows
> about resource forks.

AFAIK resource forks are deprecated in MacOSX.

> Thankyou. I wasn't aware POSIX/BSD apps could use Carbon ... that's
> extremely handy to know. It also eliminates one of my biggest concerns
> with a Mac native port - the ability to use Mac-native APIs for font
> access, accessing color profiles, etc without having to do some sort of
> Objective-C wrapper layer.

That's why they created Carbon in the first place :-) -- noone wanted
to switch
to Objective C.

> > > If you know where I can go to find out more about MacOS/X
> development
> > > and porting from UNIX, that'd be really handy too...
> >
> > There are developer docs but mainly you can just use gcc/gdb/make
> etc.
> > You just have to read the Apple specific manpages for these tools,
> eg.
> > the special linking options of gcc for Darwin, -framework instead of
> -I,
> > or the fact that you can call gdb on a Mac.app application directly.
>
> Good to know. I was more hoping for a "survial guide for UNIX
> developers" though, ie what's different, how to handle issues like
> resource forks, .app bundles, the number of different APIs, etc. I'll
> have to check out the main dev docs - I had a quick look before but
> didn't spot any sort of summary for folks coming from a *nix
> background.

Look for Unix porting guide. Manpages for gcc, glibtool, otool, etc.

I also found
	http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/writings
and
	http://kernelthread.com/mac/osx/tools.html