[Scribus] Importing Coreldraw9 created eps files not too successful ..

David Purton dcpurton
Sat Mar 5 00:52:42 CET 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 02:04:32AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 17:37 +0000, Julian Robbins wrote:
[snip]

> > The rest
> > of the layout, ie lines etc are fine, but whenever I get text imported,
> > the text is always created as a series of shapes not as editable text.
>
> I strongly suspect that may be the only way to do it accurately. Each
> DTP app has very subtle rules about typography and importing editable
> text layouts from a different DTP app would be pretty scary. Doing so
> from PostScript might be even harder.
>
> That said, I've been utterly surprised by import/export magic Franz
> whips up before ;-)
>
> > Coreldraw's eps export has an option to export as text or as curves but
> > this seems to make no difference.
>
> Yep. AFAIK Scribus will convert PostScript text to curves/outlines on
> import, as outlined above.

You might be interested in how CorelDRAW handles this situation. I know
that CorelDRAW and Scribus are slightly different types of Apps, but
CorelDRAW almost crosses into the Scribus style of DTP.

CorelDRAW actually has two styles of text. Artistic text and Paragraph
text. Paragraph text is more or less analagous the how Scribus handles
text. Artistic text on the other hand is more like an object rather than
a frame - like InkScape handles text.

So when you import a PDF or Postscript file containing text, each word
generally will come in as a separate object. Of course this is often not
a lot better than coming in as curves, but you can at least touch up the
text.

We actually use this method as part of our workflow. Our typsetting is
done in LaTeX (there's nothing else for maths really - we publish maths
books) and we then import the dvi output into CorelDRAW. Mostly we don't
need to edit or reflow text at this point, but if we do, I wrote macros
to convert the separate objects into paragraph text, which works great.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a