[Scribus] Cygwin/QT/X11: Getting close!

Steven Boothe steven
Tue Mar 1 18:22:43 CET 2005

Hello all, and many many thanks to Craig and everyone else who has put
in so much time and effort into what has become such an exciting
potential within the OSS/publishing community! Thank you all so much for
every contribution great or small. This software represents a very
exciting potential for publishers small and large.

So having written all that, I am just writing in to report that I have
been working very hard on bringing back to life the potential of running
Scribus on windows for testing. Thanks to the earlier groundbreaking
work of the folks over at the kde-cygwin project (specifically Ralf
Habacker, and =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_K=FCmmel?=) I have successfully built
QT 3.3.3 and as of this morning suffessfully managed to run ./configure
on Scribus1.3cvs that I just checked out.

Now "make" has just failed. But I just thought at this point I might be
getting close enough that I could begin reporting my progress here to
see what if any help or interest there my be. But I understand a Windows
port is not part of anyones commitment so please do not take this with
any expectation of help on my part. But perhaps I may be able to get
some feedback for my efforts to compile Scribus under Cygwin/QT/X11. :)

After all, it is possible now to start cygwin and run the apps in a
stand-alone mode without a full-fledged X-Window Manager like KDE. Which
I think would make running Scribus acceptable. Yesterday I testing
running QT designer, and it started very quickly, while at the same time
the process for X only took up 750K of RAM! So from my perspective it is
quit livable to have the X in the systray if it doesn't cost that much. :)

OK, finally, for anyone who may be intersted, here is my current output
of "make":

.libs/about.o(.text$_ZN5AboutD0Ev[About::~About [in-charge
deleting]()]+0x1d):about.cpp: undefined reference to `QDi
alog::~QDialog [not-in-charge]()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libabout.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/cboothe/src/Scribus/scribus/libabout'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cboothe/src/Scribus/scribus'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cboothe/src/Scribus'
make: *** [all] Error 2

cboothe at IT-staff ~/src/Scribus
$

Cheers!